I cried when Obama gave his Victory Speech in 2008. Change sounded wonderful. His speech was moving and gave me so much hope. He started campaigning right around the time my previous employer cancelled our health insurance. Before the economy went south, we were getting our health insurance paid in full...that's right free. Then we were stuck finding insurance with (minor) pre-existing conditions. Crap! That was not a fun nor cheap process. So, when Obama was talking, I listened. The problem was...I didn't want it bad enough. That's right folks, I haven't been doing my part. I am 35 years old and I cast my very first ballot today...gasp. I have always made excuses or haven't felt strong enough to do so I guess. If you didn't know this about me then you probably didn't ask. I was never offering up this information because I have to admit that I was ashamed. Now, as I have explained in past blogs, I have changed. Maybe it is that sweet bird I love more everyday that has made me feel like my voice really does count. Why am I telling you now? Well, it's a big step for me regardless of how others think. Like I've said before, you can judge me until the cows come home. I won't budge. I can just be honest and that feels good.
We are in a different place in our lives than we were in 2008. I will leave the result of my vote to that. Don't worry, I'm not going to preach. I am also not going to judge if you don't vote or tell you that you don't have a right to complain. That wouldn't be very nice of me.
I didn't make excuses this time. I got up at 4:45 a.m. to get M and I ready. I live and vote on the opposite side of town from where I work. Polls open at 6 a.m. and I had to have M to daycare (by work) and be at my job by 8 a.m. So, the best decision for me was to just take M with me to vote. She is always a good little tag along so I figured we were in the clear. I bundled her up not knowing if we would have to wait outside or not and unfortunately we did. I put her in the stroller, stocked up on animal crackers, juice, and little toys to keep her busy. I went in nervous. Partly because I wasn't sure how she would end up acting or what to do or where to go. These situations usually make me a little anxious. I'm a smart girl though, so I knew I would be fine. Plus, K set me up last night with a voter's guide so I already had all of my picks printed out to make this go smoothly. He knows how I get. The nice lady that stood behind me in line unknowingly calmed my nerves as she helped entertain M and shared small talk (I'm great at that). An hour later we were in. My sweet little people watcher had quickly turned into a frustrated whiner and screamer that wanted out of her stroller. I just sang songs while I filled out my ballot and didn't look around for glares. You gotta do what ya gotta do.
Whew..that was easy. What was I nervous about? I often ask myself that after situations that bring a little anxiety to the table are over and painless. This was one of those times. Except this time I felt extremely good and proud when I walked out of that church.

Good for you! It was kind of fun taking the kids (once I saw it was a very short line)... we were a spectacle with the 3 boys with me. Jake asked me questions as I filled out my ballot... and told me to put his name down and vote for him ;)
ReplyDelete