Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Party Plannin'

My mother and I share so many loves.  Tradition, planning parties, and the Richwood Plantation are just a few.  Nothing will ever compare to the amazing party we planned and threw there four years ago to celebrate my marriage to Kyle.  That time spent with Mom, getting everything together, will always be held close to my heart.  We laughed, cried, and enjoyed every moment doing something we adore.  I was surprised how much I learned about her that I didn't already know.  Our passions and ideas were matching up in an almost eerie way.  Discovering that I really liked her suggestions was very refreshing, so much that we ended up going with a lot of them.  Unlike when I was a teenager and we didn't always agree, I would like the opposite for no reason other than I was a teenager.  Now, our friendship and mother/daughter relationship have blossomed to a whole new level. 
Rehearsal Dinner 9.19.08
After that wonderful weekend, we could not wait to get back to Richwood that sets across the Ohio River from my hometown.  Mom has become quite the regular there after throwing showers, weekend getaways with Daddy Keith or just the girls, and of course signing my brother and sister-in-law up for their wedding weekend.  Although she had little to no help from me for this most recent shindig, she did phenomenal as usual.  Rounding up her cousins on her mother's (Margie) side and arranging a long overdue reunion was the goal for this fall.  So, on what would've been my Grandmother's 87th birthday, we all got together to celebrate family.  It was exciting to reconnect with family that I haven't seen in close to 20 years.  Being around Grandma's brothers and sisters help keep her memory alive.  They all look like her and have her same mannerisms.  But when I really think about it, so do Mom and I.  I see Grandma in myself and Mom everyday.  What I do and who I am stems from both of these amazing women.  I'm thankful for the time I was able to have with grandma and promise myself everyday that I won't take my time with Mom for granted.  I'm not sure what I would do without her.
Bruther Reunion 11.10.12
So, even though our major party planning may be over after the wedding, there isn't any reason why we can't have get-togethers like we did this past weekend.  Dancing, reminiscing, and seeing that smile on Mom's face makes me want more.  Spending more quality time planning with her and keeping family close sounds great to me.  So, when are we heading to the Plantation for our next mixer?  I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!