Monday, August 19, 2013

Road Trip!

Carrie and I have been friends for about 15 years!  In that time, we have only been single at the same time for about a six month period.  We took a trip to Vegas and surprisingly made it back alive.  We decided that was too dangerous and came home and found boyfriends (mine was my husband, K)!  Seven years later, we are both married at the same time so now it's safe again!  So, we packed up her SUV and headed to Detroit for the Justin Timberlake and Jay Z concert.  Yes, we only stayed one night but we packed heavy anyway, we are seeing JT!  
I was so excited!  I never thought I would go to a concert like this.  The ones I have always went to were country, rock, whatever category Dave falls under, and oh yeah, Jimmy Buffet too.  Never hip hop and R&B so this was new to me.  Plus, a road trip with my girl!  What a great time to chat and really catch up.  Having a little one around at home makes it harder to have phone time.  I use to talk to her in the mornings on my long commute to work.  Well, I live so close now, that makes the call too short.  I guess we will have to take road trips to get our long talks in.  I'm okay with that!  It was great to know the bird was in good hands and I could just relax for the next 24 hours.  We laughed 'til our cheeks hurt.  Man, I needed that!  One added bonus of this trip was finding Chili Cheese Burritos (if you didn't know, this is one of my most favorite things, ever) on the way up!  The lady at the counter was laughing at how excited I was.  It was just as delicious as I remember!
We stayed in Greektown in downtown Detroit.  I think we were both a little uneasy as we arrived at the hotel/casino knowing how some areas are pretty rough around there.  It ended up being a beautiful hotel with lots to do.  They assured us that we were safe and anywhere we walked, we wouldn't be alone.  They were right.  The venue was only three blocks away and the streets were backed with concert goers.    
The concert was at Ford Field, which was awesome.  I hate to say that it is probably a much better place to see a concert than Lucas Oil.  We were impressed with the introduction where they both came out on stage together.  The place went absolutely nuts.  I have never been to anything so loud in my whole life..what a rush!  JT and JZ would perform together for awhile then switch off and do their own thing while the other one took a break.  They played all of their songs that I know and some covers too.  I, of course, enjoyed JT most of all.  His performance was amazing...he even broke out some dance moves.  Speaking of, we danced our butts off and realized how old we were about half way through when our feet felt like they were going to fall off!
We were joined by some extremely drunk girls behind us.  This one ended up passed out hunched over into my seat before the concert even started and was escorted out about half way through.
 We laughed so hard at this picture.  Carrie was trying not to be so squinty. 
 Happy girls!
We didn't make it to the casino.  We didn't make it to anything after the concert!  It had been a long day so we took our sorry butts back to the hotel and crashed!  I used to do stuff like this all of the time.  Every weekend I had something planned.  To be honest, I don't miss that life.  I got bored with it.  I wouldn't change where or how I ended up for anything.  But, every once in a while it is nice to have a girls night or a little getaway for me.  Just me.  I work really hard and dedicate my every minute to my family and contributing to it as well.  I like the reward.  Sometimes I need the reward.
I do have to say, I appreciate my time away but I think we were only half way to Detroit when I said, "I miss the bird."  Carrie just laughed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!