In our childless days, we would set up t.v. trays, plop down on the couch, and turn on our shows during meals. Now that we have added a little birdie to the mix...things have changed. We want to sit down at the table as a family. With limited space for us and the high chair, we have been turned off by this cramped space. This is what I was working with...
I knew I wanted black, 36"-42" round or square, and a drop leaf preferrably on two sides. The drop leaf was key. It would be nice to maximize our space even more when we weren't using the table.
Kyle gets frustrated with me because it takes me awhile to find what I have in mind. He thinks if we agree that we need something then it should be found that day. I don't work that way. I do not have that kind of time. This process is usually dragged out because I have to find time to shop around either online or in a store(s). I have to search for ideas, narrow down with price in mind, measure the area, match colors, change my mind five times, and all the while admitting that it is a lengthy process. When I have not done this, we (mainly me) have ended up unhappy with our purchase.
I finally found one that fit all of my needs and wants plus it has extra storage underneath. The only thing we didn't like is that it only came with two stools. We can always add a regular stool with a back on it for Macy in the future. A basket or decor for the shelf and a area rug is next on my list. I am going to take baby steps to get this room done right (whether K gets antsy or not!).
This week we had our first dinner at the new table as a family. Macy is old enough now to sit in her high chair and join us. It was a great feeling to make this change that might seem so small to some people but is a big deal to us! I always enjoyed sitting at the table when I was growing up and I want M to experience the same.
K broke out the cast iron skillet to Pittsburg some filets that we had in the freezer. Let's just say that we had to open all of the windows and break out the box fan when it got a little too smokey! After all of the excitement of clearing the air, dinner was delicious! He never disappoints when it comes to his cooking..I guess I should say with most things;)
Of course I had to take a picture of our first family dinner. K and I didn't know we both were going to do a thumbs up. Then, we saw in the picture that it looked as if M was giving a thumbs up too! We cracked up!
| The Davis dorks! |
Stayed tuned for more changes to our small space(s).
xoxo, Ang
Woo-hoo for cute family pics ;) I think the table goes well with the room! Yes, you'll definitely want chairs with backs when she gets bigger! But it could be the "look" of the table, two stools, two with backs!
ReplyDeleteI get furniture anxitey too, so I get ya girl. I hem & haw... finally spend the money and end up rethinking what I did. Very frustrating.
When we got our kitchen table I was so proud of myself. We had been using a 30 yr old hand me down from Greg's parents. I was so happy that we used it, but it was time for it to GO. Well, only thing is... kids tear UP a table. They're not even being bad... just the casual usage of silverware, plates, glasses, etc... my poor brand new table is 2 years old and looks like HELL :( I didn't realize kids can be so innocently destructive (not on purpose at all, just normal living stuff). Even with tablecloths (that they pull on and argue over another one pulling on it) and their own placemats... it's still a mess! These kids, I tell ya ;)