Over the past six years there has been a drastic change. He strives to be a helpful husband and a great father. He helps me so very much and I appreciate everything he does. There has been one problem area that I have had a hard time keeping together, his closet. The man is lucky. I match his socks, fold his shirts, and put everything away nice and neat in there. The thing is, every time I go to put stuff away, it's a wreck. I have to start at square one reorganizing so I can put everything where it goes. A couple of weeks ago I just got a little overwhelmed so I decided I was not going to mess with it. I would just put his folded shirts on the messed up shirts and leave the enormous pile on the floor until he picked it up. Well, that never happened. We are way too busy to be dealing with messy closets right now.
Yesterday when Macy was napping I decided to tackle it. I could not take it anymore. I pulled all of the clothes out and immediately regretted it. This wasn't what I wanted to do on a beautiful day. Since the bird didn't nap long, I was saved. It felt great to say "screw this" and head out of the house and enjoy time with my girl on the town (a sweet trip to Babies R Us and the mall).
My usual attempt at fixing this would be nagging. That is an approach that I have been trying to steer clear of. Besides the fact that it does not work, I do not want to be that wife. So, I decided to add a little humor to the situation. I hung this note in his walk-in closet.
I was excited to see the response that I got! It was very positive yet a tad strange. I think we have both totally lost it!
I may be on to something here.


Oh my Goodness Angie. I think we married the same man. I TRIED to protest the folding and organising, but I had to break down and do it after ... wait for it ...8 MONTHS of Pile-up. Brutal. I don't nag either (although Henry will indeed disagree to that) - I just periodically enquire as to his physical abilities: Are your arms still functional? Do you have full range of movement in your legs? Do you indeed understand how a drawer functions? He doesn't get the hint and I still find socks stuffed behind my couch cushions... GOOD LUCK! xo
ReplyDeleteThat's great :)
ReplyDeleteI once went on a nagging strike. I didn't nag for months... nothing got done, he forget stuff like crazy... finally he says... I hate to admit this, but you're just going to have to nag me, I can't do it on my own! LOL!
Not sure how many wives get a free nagging pass... and I'm sure there's times he regrets it ;)