This week marks a year since I went back to work after my maternity leave. What a year it has been! For 14 weeks out of the year I get a day off during the week and we are closed on Saturdays for winter hours. The rest of the year I am working 50 plus hours. At times it can be a bit overwhelming. I teetered on the idea of just working a part time job so I would have more time with M and to keep my household together. The thing is, I enjoy my job. They OFTEN express how much they appreciate me, my positive attitude, and having me around. It's nice to feel wanted. Finding just any old job wasn't going to make things easier or make me any happier.
Spending time with M is the easy part. From the time I get her out of her crib in the morning until we do her bedtime routine at night (at least while I'm around her), she has my undivided attention! We play hard and have a wonderful time together! One thing is for sure, my quality time with her will not suffer. Well, that leaves little time for cleaning and organizing, paying bills, grocery shopping, meal planning, cooking, the gym, my social life and oh yeah...me. I get it all done, but I'm not sure how.
![]() |
| The balancing act |
On vacation I had a lot of time to think about what I can do to help myself relax more. Life is too short to stress about the house not being perfect. Everyone says to just let it go. That's what I am working on! Although, I can only let it go for so long before I snap. It just bothers me too much. I will never have a color coordinated closet again. It's okay. Can I please have my sanity and a clean house at the same time though? We'll see. The important thing is taking care of myself before making time for cleaning up Bird Holler. I have to be at my best when I am playing all of these roles. Here are some things I have come up with to make my life more stress free.
- Listening to music that I love. Dave has been helping me chill a little.
- Getting more sleep. That means going to bed earlier because I love my mornings immensely.
- Drink less coffee. Trying the herbal tea thing. Less jitters...it just isn't as convenient.
- Continue to run and spin. They both help relieve tension.
- Meditate...my neighbor knows all about this and highly recommends at least a few minutes a day. I can do that!
- Writing in my gratitude journal. Everything in it is positive and uplifting and makes me feel good when I look back on it.
- I am starting to hang out in my old quiet place again. At my vanity in my walk-in closet there is a comfy chair and no television. I use to sit and think, try on clothes, and admire my wardrobe and neatly organized closet. A perfect get away for when M is sleeping.
- Breathe. Even at work I will go in the bathroom and take quite a few of deep breaths. I try to do it on low stress days as well.
- Talking to my dear ladies about what is going on in my head. Mom, Carrie, and my mother-in-law, Teresa, are great listeners, don't ever judge, and give wonderful advice. I am not sure what I would do without them!
- Bake more. There is something calming about it. I just can't eat what I bake;)
- Hire in help. A decision I never thought I would make. This is a biggie....admitting I need help. It makes complete sense and will free up loads of my precious time. Having someone do all the big stuff, such as windows, floors, bathrooms, and deep cleaning will make a world of difference. This way I can do all of the above without noticing dirt. Dirt sparks anxiety in this former OCD momma!
Taking care of myself needs to be higher on my priority list. On the other hand, matching the hubs socks and putting them away needs to be deleted completely! Eventually, I will figure it all out. In the mean time, I'm gonna put my feet up a little more often! I deserve it!
xoxo,
one juggling momma


Making changes can be difficult but it sounds like you're on a good path! Good for you! :)
ReplyDelete