Even though I am always happy to start a new year fresh, with a clean slate, I like to look back on all of the positive things the previous year gave me. In my first full year of being a mother, I learned so much about myself and who I want to be.
In 2012, I started believing more in myself, testing out dreams and interests, and really figuring out who I am and what I want out of life. Setting a good example for M is a big part of me getting on a healthier track, tightening our budget for the future, and de-stressing. For the first time in my life or since I can remember, I am beginning a year confident with goals I have made. I wasn't last year but even so, the results were great! I maintained the financial goals I put in place as well as getting my couponing and meal planning well underway. I ran my first 5k and branched out to new (to us) foods that are healthier and cleaner. I didn't lose as much weight as I had in mind but somehow I am okay with that. Finally, I am comfortable in my own skin. Sure, it's red at times and aging and my figure isn't what it use to be but I'm happy with it. More so than when I was a size 2 with no wrinkles. It seems like so many insecurities, the fear of changing and how other people saw me came with that. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not letting myself go. I just know that there are better things in life than worrying about what others think of me, my body, my skin, what I am wearing...and the list goes on. Yes, I will continue to work on losing weight, and taking care of my skin but I am not letting it control me.
Also, I started taking time for myself. I am attending Girls Night Out functions, relaxing and meditating, and I even took a couple of naps (well, I may have snuck a couple in when I was sick). There are a number of things that I do differently that help me be less stressed and it is working! Baking became a big part of 2012's mission to a stress free life. I took this hobby by the horns and have enjoyed every minute of it. I also love taking pictures as most people who know me are well aware of. So, I dusted off a professional camera that K got me a few years ago and starting shooting away. It is something I have always wanted to do and am excited to learn more about.
So, I came up with goals for this year that will continue to improve myself which the whole family will benefit from. Now that I have my Family Binder updated for the new year, I will be able to stay on top of couponing, meal planning, organizing, and keeping up with other goals. I have tightened our budget even more and intend on sticking to it along with our "Simple Life" plan. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with clean eating and exercise is always on my list. I plan on running in more 5k's as well and taking up pilates. I want to really dig into my hobbies...baking, photography, and running. Spending date nights and overnights with K (without the bird) at least once a month is a must. There are a couple more on the list that will remain private, but I wanted to share a few. We have a lot of new things heading our way this year, so being able to keep up with these along with everything else on our plate will take a lot of work but we are ready!
K and I shared our resolutions with each other on NYE. It was fun to hear his along with encouragement for mine. It's nice to have him, Mom, Carrie, and Teresa as my support system. They each have their own way of keeping me going. I know I can stick to it this year and do not plan on giving up! Cheers to a better life and a new year!
This is a great post! I think you're a strong woman and I look up to you in a lot of ways. I have learned a lot from you in regards to being more confident with myself. I hope you know that I support you as well! You can always talk to me about anything... Love you!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! Thank you!
ReplyDelete